Cloves are the heavily scented, dried, unopened buds of the clove tree. Cloves are nail shaped. Cloves are considered one of the top four of the spice world, the other three being pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cloves are available whole dried or ground. They are used in both sweet and savory dishes, sauces. Cloves are mainly cultivated in topical plantations close to the sea. Clove is a commonly used flavoring agent and food product. Clove is also available as an herbal supplement. Cloves have powerful medicinal properties.
Health Benefits of Clove and Clove Oil
– They are stimulating and have antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antiseptic properties.
– They are used for dental procedures.
– They are used to cure toothache.
– The use of cloves in cooking helps in relieving flatulence and helps in the healing of various ailments of the digestive system.
– The oil is used for treating a variety of health disorders including toothaches, indigestion, cough, asthma, headache, stress and blood impurities.
– Clove is rich in minerals such as calcium, hydrochloric acid, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, and vitamin A and vitamin C.
– Gargles with diluted clove oil help in easing the throat.
– It also removes bad breath.
– Clove oil is useful for wound, cuts, scabies, athlete’s foot, fungal infections, bruises, prickly heat, scabies, etc.
– Clove oil is efficient for acne patients.
– Clove has a stimulating effect on the mind and removes mental exhaustion and fatigue.
– Clove oil gives a cooling effects in case of headaches when mixed with salt.
– Clove oil has a cooling and anti inflammatory effect, and thereby clears the nasal passage.
– Clove and clove oil is a very effective home remedy for treating sty.
– Extract of clove has been shown to enhance the sexual behavior of male mice.
– Cloves are also used as an anti-inflammatory agent, due to their high content of flavonoids.
– Clove and clove oil boosts the immune system by purifying the blood.
– Cloves benefit the diabetic patients by controlling the blood glucose levels.
– Cloves are very useful for treating cholera.
– Cloves treat asthma when 4 grams of cloves are boiled in 3 litres of water until half the water has evaporated.
– Clove oil has been linked to contributing to stress and depression as well.
– It relieves pain caused due to dry socket.
– It helps in nausea as well as vomiting.
– Clove oil is often added in cosmetic creams and lotions and perfumes. It is a good massage oil providing relief from pain and stress.
– The clove oil makes an excellent natural mosquito repellent.
Side Effects of Clove
Consult your doctor before using any product with clove oil in it.
– Clove oil may also cause local tissue damage, dental pulp damage and sore lips especially when used in the mouth in its undiluted form.
– Allergic symptoms include an itchy or red rash and trouble breathing.
– It is not advised for patients who have bleeding disorders or those who are already taking drugs with the possible side effect of bleeding. It increases the risk of bleeding.
– Pregnant and breastfeeding women should stay away from clove oil.
– Clove oil can cause unconsciousness, dizziness and seizures.